Signature Level 4 Certificate in British Sign Language
Our Level 4 Certificate in British Sign Language will be starting in September 2019, we are taking bookings now!
This course is at our centre in Farnborough, taking place on Monday evenings 7pm till 9.15pm.
Penny is available for a 1-1 FaceTime chat or drop in at the centre and would love to answer any questions you may have regarding the course. Please Contact Us to arrange this.
The qualification is divided into three units as follows:
- BSL420 - Extended sign language linguistics
- BSL421 - Understand extended British Sign Language in a range of work and social situations
- BSL422 - Use extended British Sign Language in a range of work and social situations
The best way to use and learn British Sign Language (BSL) is through conversation and discussion with one or more users of the language where straightforward and informal social interaction is the norm and our Level 4 course focuses on just that. We will provide you with a high standard qualification with the right amount of teaching and practice to build your skills. This is because we focus significantly on deeper language acquisition, and the culture and best practice use of BSL, with minimal paperwork and a very HANDS-ON approach. We also invite Deaf speakers from time to time, to enhance our students experience and knowledge through a range of different and interesting topics and discussions. It is the ideal way for you to gain this qualification.
Students will be filmed regularly and receive continual feedback and onward planning from the teaching team as part of this course.
Understand and present information, ideas and opinions:
- Extract specific details and grasp overall meanings from a range of short passages in BSL
- Maintain business relationships and manage/follow uncomplicated negotiations relating to issues/concerns in your area of work
- Take part in discussions relating to varied accounts, reports and instructions delivered in BSL
- Understand the main points and relevant details of news items, interviews, documentaries and social conversation delivered in BSL
- Develop interactive communication skills with Deaf people who have different cultural experiences and perspectives to your own and understand/appreciate why these differences exist
Successful completion of this qualification can be used as evidence of the language skills needed in order to be able to operate independently and at an advanced level in the target language. It is useful for those who work on a regular basis with Deaf people (e.g. social workers, teachers of the Deaf, communicators, voluntary workers, workers within Deaf organisations, schools, etc.), those who aspire to work in these contexts, and those who wish to expand their knowledge and skills in British Sign Language.
The dates for the course are as follows:
Monday evenings 7pm till 9.15pm from 16th September 2019 - 6th July 2020.
Course fees are £1080 (including VAT).
Plus assessment fees of £154
Payment of fees by installments may be agreed upon arrangement.
Optional and highly recommended for learners
A SignWorld News Package - £20.
SignWorld Level 4 including News/Factual information - £54.99
The Linguistics of British Sign Language by Rachael Sutton Spence - from £33.37
Why Choose us
Gaining your BSL level 4 qualifications with Sign for Thoughts has many advantages. A step up will boost your confidence before you climb up to Level 6 where you need to be a proficient signer.
- Recorded feedback throughout the course, every clip kept on your USB
- BSL Role models are invited regularly
- Analysis work on BSL principles
- Conversations including debates/ discussions, role-play in Deaf issues
- Our purpose built training suite is ideally situated within easy access of the M3 and is only 40 minutes on the train from London
We care about our students and we will support you every step of the way throughout your BSL journey. Our tutors and assessors are extremely talented in their field and have many years of experience behind them. Our 12 years delivering high quality teaching has given us a good reputation with students and the Deaf community alike.
We genuinely care about your success!
Our Terms and Conditions