BSL Level 6
Considering Level 6 ?
You've come to the right place!
We offer the Level 6 Certificate in British Sign Language Studies through iBSL (Institute of British Sign Language and our next course starts October 2019 with classes every 2 weeks on Wednesdays or Saturdays.
The iBSL qualification structure is excellent. It deepens your BSL knowledge and enhances the linguistics of your signing, as well as skills in voicing from BSL, Deaf humour and deeper cultural emphasis in how you converse.
Do ask Penny any questions; she would love to have a chat with you on FaceTime or text her to arrange a drop-in chat.
This qualification has been developed in accordance with the National Language Standards at Level 6 (2010). It is equivalent to those for Modern Foreign Languages at Honours Degree level.
The qualification is divided into three units as follows:
- IBSL6AUN: Understand complex BSL in a wide range of work situations
- IBSL6ASN: Use complex BSL in a wide range of work situations
- IBSL6ALN: BSL Linguistics Theory & Practice
All three units can be achieved separately, but the full Level 6 Certificate in British Sign Language Studies can only be given if there is a PASS in each unit.
We are very excited to bring you a new, more inspiring route to your fully accredited BSL Level 6 qualification.
This qualification moves away from the standard NVQ method and focuses significantly on deeper language acquisition and the culture and best practice use of BSL. We pack the course full of teaching and real practice with NO PORTFOLIO to collate and write up.
There is minimal paperwork and we follow a much more hands-on approach so that, by the end of our course, your BSL skills are sound and strong. You will receive a great deal more teaching hours and significantly less administration for a cheaper price than the equivalent NVQ route. It's a win-win situation with SfT!
'NEXT STEP'- Developing Interpreting Skills
This course is suitable for students who are signing at BSL Level 6 Language Qualification standard (either having achieved this qualification or working towards holding this qualification).
Students who enrol on this course could be working as Communication Support Workers (CSWs) and wish to enhance their skills, and/or be pursuing or be considering and have an interest in, a career as a Sign Language Interpreter. Students are expected to be in contact with a range of Deaf native Sign Language users, through work, voluntary work or other.
This is a taught course providing a framework within which to learn the theoretical skills and practical skills, both needed in the role of Sign Language Interpreter. Modules taught in the classroom cover all aspects of Interpreting and students are expected to enhance their learning outside of the classroom through self-study, continual assessment and reflection.
Take an active role in complex situations using BSL
- Maintain fluent and accurate BSL over extended periods within their area of expertise
- Understand and use a complex range of vocabulary and technical language
- Follow and formulate presentations, proposals and arguments in the support of theories and/or ideas
- Understand and use with accuracy most colloquial and idiosyncratic BSL
- Relay information informally to and from BSL
- Demonstrate an understanding of BSL Linguistics theory and practice
These objectives relate to the UK Occupational Languages Standards (2010) at Level 6 as developed by CILT.
NEXT COURSE Starts October 2019
Wednesdays every two weeks or Saturdays twice a month for 18 weeks
Teachers: Judith Jackson, Rachael Parker leads a specialist team including Role Models
First session: 2nd October 2019 (Wednesdays) or 12th October 2019 (Saturdays)
Interview : FREE 1:1 FaceTime or Skype chat before book a course!
*£1700 plus VAT
plus SignWorld News Package £20.00
plus registration fee £210
Linguistics for Intermediate Learners at £24.99 is highly recommended.
Why Choose us
Gaining your BSL level 6 qualifications with SfT has many advantages;
- Recorded feedback throughout the course, every clip kept on your USB
- BSL Role models are invited regularly
- Analysis work on BSL principles
- Conversations including debates/ discussions, role-play in Deaf issues
- Our purpose built training suite is ideally situated within easy access of the M3 and is only 40 minutes on the train from London
We care about our students and we will support you every step of the way throughout your BSL journey. Our tutors and assessors are extremely talented in their field and have many years of experience behind them. Our 10 years delivering high quality teaching has given us a good reputation with students and the Deaf community alike.
Interested? To book your place on the course please complete the enrolment form.
Our Terms and Conditions